• Back
    3 FADE
  • Our Lady Help of Christians School At A Glance

    166Students Pre-K3 - 8 FREE UPK 4
    Grades Served
    Enrichment Programs
    Italian, Music, Gym; Science/Sports/Fine Art Clubs; Theater Program
    1 SMARTBoard per Classroom; 2:1 iPads K-2nd, 1:1 Chromebooks 3rd-8th Grade, STEM Program
    School Schedule
    Drop-Off7:40 AMPick-Up2:30 PM
    Get Directions
  • About Us

    Located on the South Shore of Staten Island in the Tottenville section, Our Lady Help of Christians School offers Free UPK (4 year old), Kindergarten through 8th grade. We will be offering Pre-K 3 in the Fall of 2016. This year Our Lady Help of Christians School is proud to announce that we will graduate our 103rd graduating class.

    Our Lady Help of Christians School was established in 1904 in a convent chapel on Main Street, Tottenville. Marianite Sisters of the Holy Cross staffed the school. The need for a larger Catholic education facility in the fast-growing community was soon realized and in 1910 a permanent parochial school opened on Yetman Avenue directly behind the church. Beginning in 1923, children were taught by the Presentation Sisters of Staten Island.

    By 1954, the school was again overcrowded and lacked appropriate accommodations for children. In September of that year, the Church of Our Lady Help of Christians inaugurated a fundraising campaign to finance the new school and auditorium. The old school building was demolished and two temporary barrack-style buildings were erected on the property to provide classroom space during construction. In addition, several grades attended classes at the Stadium Theater on Main Street.

    Groundbreaking ceremonies were held on January 16, 1955. One year later, on January 3, 1956, the new fully-fireproof building, with eight classrooms to accommodate 450 children, and a large auditorium was officially opened. His Eminence Francis Cardinal Spellman, Archbishop of New York, blessed and dedicated the school on October 6, 1956.

    Most recently the school was expanded in November 2010 with new classrooms and the Catholic Education Center. The dedication ceremony was officiated by then Archbishop Timothy M. Dolan.